Friday, February 8, 2013

Anticipation

Four weeks down. It's hard to believe that I've been at this for a month already. The next class starts next week so we won't be the junior class anymore. It also means that we won't have to do some of the clean up work that we've been having to do for the last month. But there will probably be new clean up jobs to do.

One of the highlights of my week was finally getting the stock blank and receiver for my project rifle. It's nice to have tangible proof that I am in fact going to school to work on GUNS. I'm quite excited to get to the project gun phase, but at the same time, I am grateful for the practice and experience with the hand tools that I'm getting right now. Filing on small pieces of flat steel is getting quite mundane and it is very tedious. While the tools we make will be useful, a comercial variant can be purchased in nearly every case for little money. But again, the skills we develop on creating these tools will be the same skills that prevent us from screwing up our own rifles and the guns of customers in the future.

I figured I would share the joy of my new rifle action with a couple pictures.

Montana Rifle Company 1999 Long Action
(I'm chambering the rifle in the classic .30-06)


 
This is my stock blank. I'm not sure on manufacturer, but will update when I know.
 


Until I get to start working on guns, this is what will keep me busy.
 
 
I would like to do another update each week, but finding the time is quite challenging. If it would be worth me making the time to do two posts per week, please let me know. Additionally, if you happen to have any questions about what I'm doing or anything gun related, please leave me a comment and I will try to be helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment